When you need a fire or water damage restoration company, time is of the essence. If you do a quick internet search, you’ll find many in Chicago to choose from. And since it’s an emergency, you may just pick the one that’s closest to you. That’s why you should do your research before a disaster ever strikes to find a company you know you can trust.
With the economy the way it is, many may be tempted to go with the company that offers the lowest prices. That would seem to make your decision easier. Yet, the cost isn’t the only aspect you should consider. A cheap disaster restoration contractor may underestimate the cost of a project, or worse, add hidden fees after the job is completed. So that low-cost company could cost you more.
Problems With Hiring Cheap Disaster Restoration Contractors
Here are some reasons you may want to avoid a low bidder:
- They give you a killer price to lock you into a deal and then the costs start to rise.
- They’re not insured. This puts you and your property at risk.
- They’re disorganized. This means that the job of putting your Chicagoland home or business back together will take much longer and will be of lower quality.
- The estimated time of completion gets longer and longer. This is not just due to disorganization but in their ability to hire enough qualified workers.
- A high-quality restoration contractor has methods of removing dust, garbage, and dirt during the job to keep your home cleaner. They’ll also completely clean up after the job is finished. Low-budget contractors will leave you with a mess to deal with.
- To cut costs, they use inferior products when rebuilding. These can not only be unsafe but will lower the value of your property.
So, low prices aren’t always the best deal. As the old saying goes, “you get what you pay for.”
Choosing the Right Disaster Restoration Contractor
Now that you know the reasons to avoid a low-cost contractor, the following lists qualities to look for in a reputable one:
- Comfort Level – do you feel at ease with them, or are they pushy and put down their competition? Do you feel a high level of trust?
- Transparency – are they open and honest about the restoration process? Is there a clear point of contact you’ll be able to rely on throughout the job?
- Experience – have they shown you their portfolio of other similar types of jobs they’ve completed? How long have they been in business?
- References – a reliable contractor will offer you references from their past customers. Also, check out the BBB and other customer review sites online like HomeAdvisor and Angi to see if people who used their services were happy or not.
- Price – if their price is lower than others, ask them directly why and have them lay out a detailed plan to keep that price low.
At Chicago’s own ServiceMaster By Simons, we understand that sometimes price has to be your first consideration. That’s why we let you know upfront what you can expect. But we refuse to substitute quality work and materials for a price, because a cheaply and poorly done restoration is unsafe and will always cost you more in the long run.
About Us: ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons, is a SB100 Best of Small Business Award Winner 2021, Bronze Stevie® Award in the Female Entrepreneur of the Year category in the 18th annual Stevie Awards for Women in Business, recipient of the 2020 Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics, and recipient of the 2020 Skokie Business of the Year Award, Honorable Mention Category. ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons (MBE/WBE) is a family operated, IICRC & OSHA Certified company serving Chicago, Oak Park, River Forest, and the North Shore. We provide commercial disaster restoration services including Water & Flood Damage Restoration, Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration, Mold Remediation and a wide range of interior specialty cleaning including COVID-19 Cleaning Services, Hoarder & Clutter Cleaning, Post-Construction Cleaning, Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning to residential and commercial customers. For more information, call 773-839-5542 or visit www.servicemasterbysimons.com or email@example.com