When Old Man Winter sends Artic-like winds and blasts of freezing temperatures to Chicago this season, the potential for frozen and busted pipes greatly increases. The main cause of frozen and busted pipes is the absence of heat or insulation near pipes, plus exposure to a subfreezing area.
While dealing with frozen pipes is bad news for Chicago area home and business owners, the good news is that ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons has been providing top-notch disaster restoration services to thousands of satisfied customers for years, and we can do the same for you. Our rapid response to your water damage calamity includes emergency service and site inspection, water removal and drying, sanitizing, and, in select cases, reinstallation/cleaning and structural repairs. Other water damage-related services are available upon request.
Preparation is the key to preventing frozen and busted pipes and the subsequent water damage they cause, according to the American Red Cross. Here are several steps you can take to prevent the water supply lines and pipes in your home or business from freezing and breaking:
- Keep a temporary patch kit on hand to seal off small breaks. This short-term measure can hold a break until warmer weather allows you to make a permanent repair.
- Install a heat trace cable to keep cold pipes from freezing. Some heat tapes are wrapped around the pipe, others simply run along it. Follow all manufacturer’s directions for heat trace cables, which can be found at many home centers or electrical supply businesses.
- Turn off the main water valve while your home or business facility is unoccupied. This way, if the pipes do freeze and break while the water is turned off, the leakage will be limited to just the water in the pipe.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature if your home or business will be unoccupied for an extended period of time. Set the temperature no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Consider relocating exposed pipes to provide increased protection from freezing.
- Open cabinet doors. It’s not unusual for plumbing that runs to a sink on an exterior wall to be extremely vulnerable because the wall is not insulated, reports Popular Mechanics
ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons serves 18 greater Chicago neighborhoods, including the River North, South Loop, Streeterville, and Ukranian Village neighborhoods. Contact us immediately at 773-376-1110 if frozen and busted pipes have caused water damage to your Chicago area home or business. We’re prepared to handle your call for help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.