It all starts with that damp smell. Then you see a few black spots. Before you know it, you need mold remediation for your bathroom in Chicago. That seems like a rapid development, but mold growth can quickly get out of hand. Some situations can be easily resolved, but most require professional cleaning. Once mold has developed you need to ensure all causes have been removed or it will likely return.
There are quite a few factors that cause mold to grow, but let’s focus on the bathroom area and what you can do to prevent mold from developing or returning:
- Your bathroom should have a ventilation fan. If it doesn’t, you need to install one that properly vents outside. This will remove moisture from the shower and help quickly remove dampness from the walls.
- Inspect all of your plumbing. Even the smallest water leak will build up and, over time, you have a perfect environment for mold to grow.
- Properly wipe down all the shower walls after each shower. This will help quickly remove moisture from the bathroom, but also not allow the moisture to drip down and seep behind the baseboard where it can become an incubator for mold.
- Regularly wash any bath mats or rugs in your bathroom. They can trap moisture and cause mold to grow on your floor or even in the tile grout.
- Do not leave wet towels on the floor, even if it is just for a few hours. Depending on your floor type, wet towels can keep that area moist enough to allow mold to grow. Before you know it, you have a musty smell in that area or even worse, molds spots.
- One last thing you can do is to leave the door open when the bathroom is not in use. If you have a ventilation fan, that is great to help remove moisture, but when you are not in the bathroom, you likely do not have the fan on. Leaving the door open will allow the moisture from your bathroom to escape into your home and blend with the dry air as opposed to continually keeping your bathroom damp.
These are just a few easy steps to follow to help keep your bathroom a mold free environment. However, if you do find that you need mold remediation in Chicago, ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons is available 24/7 to answer your questions or help create a mold remediation plan.