Whether it’s from a frozen pipe, ice dam, broken toilet, or some other calamity, water damage can happen anytime in Chicago, IL and the surrounding area. After facing a devastating water damage event in your Chicago home or business, there are some specific steps that property owners and managers should take to best handle the watery disaster. The first step is to stay calm and ensure your safety and that of your family or employees.
After everyone is safe, follow the next steps to ensure your property is competently and promptly returned to its pre-loss condition as soon as possible by a professional disaster restoration company such as ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons. (Some of these tips are provided by the Illinois Department of Insurance.) After all, the sooner the water damage is cleaned up, the sooner you can get back to normal and resume a regular work/life balance:
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide as much detail as you can about the water damage to your home or business and all of the phone numbers where you can be reached.
- Get prior approval from your insurance adjuster before you contract for water damage repairs.
- Contact ServiceMaster Restoration by Simon for reputable water damage restoration. Our team has the equipment and expertise to return your valuable home or business back to its pre-loss condition as soon as In addition, we’ll maintain regular and consist communication with your insurance company representatives – a step that can lighten the burden on your shoulders.
- Make temporary repairs to protect your property. Examples of these temporary repairs include boarding up windows and covering furnishings.
- Do not throw out damaged furniture and other expensive items. Your insurance adjuster will want to see these items. If they haven’t been destroyed, retrieve the receipts for the damaged items.
- Make a list of everything you would like to bring to the attention of your insurance adjuster.
- Your insurance policy may cover your expenses while your property is being repaired or rebuilt. Inquire about restrictions on amounts and keep all of your receipts.
If your Chicago-area business or other type of facility is in need of water damage restoration, call ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons at 773-376-1110. After receiving your call we’ll immediately come to your home or business to examine the extent of the damage and start work to restore it. We’re available around-the-clock to heed your call for help in 18 Chicago neighborhoods!