When used correctly, extension cords are super handy tools for delivering power right where you need it. However, if they’re not used as intended, they can cause a fire and necessitate the need for fire restoration in Chicago’s Near North neighborhood. If a fire erupts, both business and home owners can turn to the fire restoration experts at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) offers the following tips for staying safe from electric shock and electrical fires:
Never substitute extension cords for permanent wiring.
Do not overload extension cords.
Do not use an extension cord rated for indoor usage outdoors. They are a safety hazard if they become wet.
Do not run extension cords through walls, doorways, ceilings or floors. If the cord is covered, heat can’t escape, which can result in a fire hazard.
Don’t use an extension cord for more than one appliance.
Use extension cords with polarized and/or three-prong plugs.
Buy only cords approved by an independent testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), ETL-SEMKO (ETL) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
A heavy reliance on extension cords is an indication that you have too few outlets to address your needs. Have additional outlets installed where needed.
Never use a cord that feels hot or is damaged in any way. Touching even a single exposed strand can give you an electric shock or burn.
Make sure the extension cord is rated for the products to be plugged in.
There is no better choice for fire repair and restoration than Chicago’s ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons. Give us a call today at 773-376-1110 if you need fire restoration services in Near North in Chicago, IL, ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons use the latest fire restoration techniques to return your property to its pre-loss condition as quickly as possible.