While April showers can bring May flowers, they also have the potential to bring unwanted water into your Chicago home or business. If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having to battle the results of heavy spring rains or the winter’s thaw in your basement, call ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons for speedy and professional water damage restoration services. Our highly trained technicians use the most innovative equipment available to restore your water-damaged property to its pre-loss condition as quickly as possible.
To help protect yourself from the misfortune of water or flood damage in your home or business this season, here are some proactive steps you can take now:
- If any snow or ice still remains against your home or business or other structure, shovel it back 2 feet or more.
- Clean out gutters and downspouts and make sure that they’re pointed away from the building. When properly designed, gutters and downspouts should move water at least 3 feet away from the building to a well-drained area.
- Test your sump pump to make sure it is working properly. If your property has a long history of flooding and isn’t equipped with a sump pump, consider investing in one.
- Think about installing inexpensive water alarms, which will let you know when water starts to accumulate. Place an alarm wherever there is risk of water accumulation and damage, such as the utility room, laundry room, kitchen, bathroom, basement or crawlspace. Water alarms are available at hardware and big-box home improvement stores.
- Remove valuables from the basement and avoid storing belongings on the floor. Utilize shelving units and/or put blocks or bricks under boxes, plastic tubs and appliances.
If your home or business floods this spring, call the experts at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons for professional water damage restoration in Chicago. We’ll assess your situation quickly, formulate a targeted response to your specific emergency and communicate with you every step of the way. We’re available 24 hours a day and seven days a week to help you. Call today at 773-376-1110.