The water damage restoration specialists at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons remind you that an urgent call to action is needed if the basement in your Streeterville, IL house, condo, or townhouse floods. That’s because a flooded basement is a true safety hazard to you and your family, and the longer water is allowed to sit, the more damage it creates.
There are several causes of flooding in the greater Chicago area, including frozen pipes, heavy rains and flash flooding, overflowing and dirty gutters, poorly placed downspouts, clogged drains, and improperly working sump pumps, among others. If the basement of your Chicago home floods, here’s a brief primer on the most important steps to take:
- Put safety first. Water mixed with electrical outlets and appliances is a deadly concoction. To stay safe, turn off all power sources if possible and proceed cautiously.
- Wear protective gear. Once you do head downstairs, wear boots and gloves to protect yourself from nasty contaminants, such as bacteria.
- Retrieve valuables. Bring your valuables upstairs to dry out.
- Discard organics. Throw out wet, porous organic substances, such as cardboard boxes, magazines, foodstuffs, or newspapers. These items are all fuel for mold growth.
- Call a reputable water damage restoration company. At ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons, we’ll work tirelessly to restore your home to its former condition in record time!
In addition to removing the water from your flooded basement, our professional water removal and recovery teams are available around-the-clock to offer the following services: drying and dehumidification; wallboard, ceiling, and floor cleanup; furniture and carpet cleaning and/or removal; document restoration; project management and consultation services; working with your insurance company; sewage issues; and much more.
In addition to Streeterville, IL, ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons serves 17 more Chicago neighborhoods, including Near North, River North, The Loop, and West Loop. Contact us immediately at 773-376-1110 for all of your water damage cleanup and restoration and mold removal needs. We’re available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with our finely-tuned water damage restoration skills to help you get your basement and your life back in good order!