Chicago, IL Fire Restoration by ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons
This past Sunday morning, all but a very few states set their clocks ahead one hour as Daylight Saving Time began. DST was started as a way to conserve energy by getting people to arise and begin their day earlier to use the available natural light. The tradition has continued for over 100 years and provides a great reference date for another bi-annual event: checking the smoke alarms in your Chicago home or business. Poorly maintained smoke alarms can allow a small, smoldering fire to quickly become a devastating inferno. If you experience smoke damage or fire damage, immediately contact the Chicago, IL fire restoration professionals at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons.
Aside from marking a regular date twice a year, the beginning and end of daylight saving time usually marks the beginning of the spring and fall seasons. The transition seasons between the more extreme summer and winter seasons are a great time to check the smoke alarms in your home so that you don’t need fire damage repair. The National Fire Protection Agency offers some helpful tips for checking your smoke alarms each year and in general:
• Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, on every level of the house.
• Interconnect smoke alarms so that when one sounds, they all sound.
• Replace the batteries in your smoke alarm at least once a year, or when an alarm “chirps” in warning
• Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years, whether hard wired or battery-operated
• Smoke alarms that are hard wired must be installed by a qualified electrician and all alarms must include the label of a recognized testing lab.
• Smoke alarms that use strobe lights and vibrations are available for those that are deaf or hard of hearing.
• In addition to functioning smoke alarms, make sure you also have a home fire escape plan.
Fire safety is a serious matter. These tips will help with the prevention of fire damage, but even the most prepared are still struck by disaster.
When you need fire damage restoration in your Chicago home or business, call ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons. Our emergency hotlines are ready to respond 24/7/365 to a variety of disasters. The faster the response, the quicker the cleanup and the less fire damage occurs. We are your #1 choice for fire restoration in Chicago, IL.