As the days grow cooler and the nights get longer, many of the leaves on the trees in the Chicago neighborhoods of Logan Square, The Loop, and West Town are starting to explode with color. And soon after reaching their peak colors, they will fall. That’s a sure indicator winter is on its way and that it’s time for all Chicago homeowners to clean the rain gutters on their houses.
When your gutters are clean, they’re able to do their job of directing water away from your house. If they’re clogged with leaves, dirt, twigs, and bugs, rainwater will overflow and spill directly onto the ground next to your home where it can potentially leak through the foundation wall and into your basement or crawl space. Over time, extensive water damage can occur, compromising the structural integrity of your home and creating an environment that’s ripe for mold damage.
If this unfortunate situation occurs in your Chicago home, call the experts at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons for professional water damage cleanup and restoration and mold removal. Our highly skilled water damage restoration technicians are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week with the proper equipment, training, and knowledge to assess the water damage to your property and to restore it in a hurry.
In addition to water damage and mold damage, clogged gutters can lead to many other problems for Chicago homeowners. These include:
- Pests: Because termites require moisture to thrive, areas around overflowing gutters can attract the damaging insects, and Mosquitoes love to lay their eggs in the stagnant water that pools in clogged gutters.
- Rotting wood: When rainwater can’t flow through gutters properly, it has the potential to spill onto and saturate the wood siding of a home. In addition to diminishing the aesthetics and curb appeal of your home, rot damage will cause costly structural damage.
- Water staining: When your gutters are clogged, dirty water will eventually start to leak over their edges. That nasty water will then run down the sides of your house, leaving ugly and hard-to-remove stains.
- Undermined driveways, patios and walkways: Excess water flowing into the ground near the house can erode the dirt directly beneath driveways, patios, and walkways.
- Clogged gutters: Gutters that are chock full of debris may start to sag and over time, they can collapse or even fall off your house. This often results in costly damage and repairs.
In a future blog at this site, tips for safely and effectively cleaning the gutters on your home will be laid out. And remember, if you need expert water damage restoration in Chicago, call ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons at 773-376-1110 today!