The winter months keep many of us indoors, but it is surprising how many rooms and areas go virtually untouched for months at a time. These areas are perfect environments for mold growth, and without proper maintenance, that’s exactly what will happen. How do you reduce your exposure risks to mold? The basic answer is clean every inch of your home on a weekly basis. We know that is not what you want to hear, nor is it what most will do, but try to follow these steps to at least reduce your mold damage risks:
- Install humidity monitors on each level of your home. This will help monitor the humidity level to maintain a less than 60% relative humidity level.
- Check every exposed pipe in your home. You are looking for moisture that would be an indicator of a potential leak. Even if it’s a tiny leak, you are creating a perfect environment for mold growth.
- Check and clean your refrigerator drip pan and the seals. Moisture can be trapped and mold can quickly grow in the pan or on the seal.
- When cooking, use the vent above your stove to help remove excess moisture.
- Consider installing a dehumidifier in your basement if you have one. This will help maintain the proper humidity level.
- Clean under each doormat. Moisture can buildup and cause permanent mold damage to hardwood floors.
While these are just a few basic steps to reducing your exposure to mold, the battle is never ending. The best way to ensure your home stays healthy and mold free is to clean on a weekly basis and try to implement a few mold prevention measures such as a dehumidifier. If you find an infestation of mold and need help eliminating it, give ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons a call. We will safely and thoroughly clean and eradicate the menace of mold from your home or business environment!