Experiencing a fire in your Chicagoland home or business can be overwhelming, to say the least. But it’s vital that fire damage cleanup and the restoration process is begun as quickly as possible to get your life back to normal.
But do not attempt to do this on your own! You’ll need to rely on fire damage experts to handle the situation. There are specific steps the professionals know and will follow to restore your Chicago area property and contents to their pre-loss condition.
Because of the seriousness of these situations, here is a list of dos and don’ts when it comes to fire damage restoration and smoke cleanup:
- Make safety the priority. Even if the situation looks safe and clear to you, don’t enter a burned structure until a professional has informed you it’s safe to do so. Not only may the building be unstable, but fires can start again — even after they seem to be extinguished.
- Document, document, document. Take photos of the fire damage, save receipts, take notes of conversations and keep all email correspondence. These actions help when dealing with your insurance company.
- Call your insurance agent to initiate a fire damage assessment.
- Call your Chicago restoration company, ServiceMaster By Simons, to help with fire damage cleanup and repair.
- Limit movements inside the structure to keep soot particles from spreading.
- Change furnace filters.
- Cover dry furniture and upholstery with sheets until they are assessed or until they are cleaned.
- Weather permitting, open windows and doors for ventilation.
- Remove clothing and soft contents from the property and have it cleaned by ServiceMaster By Simons professional fire damage restoration cleaners, not just a dry cleaner.
- Throw away all food and drink left after the fire.
- Enter a building before the fire department gives you the green light, even if it looks safe.
- Start cleaning residue from walls, ceilings, and other surfaces. Everything needs to be assessed by your insurer first.
- Walk on carpets or touch furnishings impacted by smoke residues or debris until they’re professionally cleaned.
- Eat food, including canned goods, that were exposed to heat or fire.
- Turn on utilities until professionally checked.
- Turn on, clean, or use any electronic equipment until professionally checked.
Smoke and soot residue left behind after fire damage can cause severe health problems if not handled correctly. Only trained experts with professional equipment that understand the complicated chemical interactions involved with soot and fire can ensure your fire damage restoration is done safely and thoroughly.
The best thing to do is get in touch with ServiceMaster By Simons as soon as possible. We will assess your Chicagoland property and come up with a fire damage cleanup plan that includes:
- Securing your property to prevent further damage
- Removing damaged and unsalvageable items
- Cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing of your property and belongings
- Repairing or replacing all fire and smoke damaged areas of the structure
Our main goal at ServiceMaster By Simons is to restore your fire-damaged property and return it to its pre-loss condition or better. As a locally owned and operated company, providing the best possible customer service is our business.
About Us: ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons, is a SB100 Best of Small Business Award Winner 2021, Bronze Stevie® Award in the Female Entrepreneur of the Year category in the 18th annual Stevie Awards for Women in Business, recipient of the 2020 Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics, and recipient of the 2020 Skokie Business of the Year Award, Honorable Mention Category. ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons (MBE/WBE) is a family operated, IICRC & OSHA Certified company serving Chicago, Oak Park, River Forest, and the North Shore. We provide commercial disaster restoration services including Water & Flood Damage Restoration, Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration, Mold Remediation and a wide range of interior specialty cleaning including COVID-19 Cleaning Services, Hoarder & Clutter Cleaning, Post-Construction Cleaning, Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning to residential and commercial customers. For more information, call 773-839-5542 or visit www.servicemasterbysimons.com or email@example.com