These cold winter months have been brutal, and many people are using space heaters to help their furnace keep the home warm. While space heaters are an excellent source of concentrated heat, they also bring about many high risks when misused. ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons in Chicago wants to make sure you understand the proper ways to use a space heater and just how easily they can cause a fire hazard or, worse, an actual fire.
It may seem quite strange that something as readily available as a space heater could be such a hazardous appliance to use. But when you are generating high heat from something so small, you do run the risk of burning items around you. Here are a few general tips to follow if you decide a space heater is needed in your home:
1. Do not leave a room unattended when a space heater is running. The purpose of a small space heater is to make the area warmer while you are occupying it. It is not designed to be a long term heat source. The risks are greatly reduced when you turn the unit off as you leave the room.
2. Keep all items at least 3 feet away from all sides of the space heater, including the back. Even though the heat is directed out the front of the unit, something placed directly behind the unit would still be inches from the heat source.
3. Never use a space heater near wet conditions. The risk of electric shock is greatly increased when any moisture is present.
Space heaters are not a cost-effective solution to continually heat an area. Before you purchase a space heater there are a few other things you may consider trying in order to stay warm:
1) Wear another layer of clothing
2) Purchase and install window insulation kits
3) Replace the weather stripping on your entry doors to keep cold air out
4) Open the window blinds during the day to allow sunlight to heat your home.
Space heaters may or may not be the solution for you. Consider the above solutions prior to purchasing as they are generally less expensive, much safer, and will help avoid fire damage. If for any reason you experience fire damage, please call ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons as quickly as possible. We will thoroughly and efficiently restore your home and make your house the safe and secure environment you deserve.