The proper installation, maintenance, and use of fire extinguishers can greatly protect your employees and eliminate the need for fire damage restoration in your Hyde Park, IL office, retail store, clinic, hotel, or other type of business facility.
To help keep your employees safe from fire, there are certain fire extinguisher requirements that you, as a business owner or manager, must closely follow, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Here’s a brief synopsis of those requirements:
- Provide standard approved fire extinguishers. The first requirement you must comply with is to provide fire extinguishers that meet the guidelines administered by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). To verify the exact requirements for your business, you should consult with the local building inspector and the fire marshal.
- Location of fire extinguishers. You or one of your team members must install code-ready fire extinguishers within 50 feet of all employees. Following this requirement puts your business in compliance with the OSHA fire extinguisher placement requirements for businesses.
- Fire extinguisher training. In addition to the top two requirements, you must train your employees in the safe operation of the extinguishers. One good way to do this is to teach them to remember the word PASS.
- PULL the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you and then release the locking mechanism.
- AIM low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- SQUEEZE the lever slowly and evenly while standing approximately 8 feet away from the fire.
- SWEEP the nozzle from side to side at the base of the fire and slowly move forward to extinguish the remaining flames.
- Annual inspections and Maintenance. An annual inspection of the extinguishers is required and must be documented. You and your business are responsible for the maintenance and testing of all portable fire extinguishers in the workplace.
If you find yourself in need of expert fire damage restoration in Chicago’s Hyde Park neighborhood, call ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons right away at 773-376-1110. No matter what type of business you’re in, we’ll put our highly skilled technicians to work immediately at restoring your facility to its pre-loss condition.