If you’re the victim of a devastating house fire in the greater Chicago, IL area, there are some crucial steps you should to take to help ease the emotional and financial toll it can have on you and your family.
First, after you’ve accounted for your family members and pets and the fire fighters have extinguished the flames, contact your insurance agent. Next, reach out to the compassionate fire damage, smoke damage and water damage restoration professionals at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons. In addition to cleaning up after the fire, smoke, and the water used to put out the fire, securing a high-quality restoration company is a crucial step to take to halt further property damage from soot. That’s because the longer soot is allowed to remain in and on your property, the more damage it does.
Next, notify your mortgage lender about the fire. Additional steps to take include reaching out to family members, neighbors, and friends for support. Your local church or synagogue and disaster relief organizations, such as the American Red Cross, can also help meet your initial needs.
As the information above shows, there are many things you should do after a house fire. On the flipside, there are several things you should NOT do. To maintain your safety and that of your family members and to prevent any further damage, here’s an important checklist of things NOT TO DO after the firefighters have put out the fire:
- DO NOT use any canned or packaged food or beverages that were stored near the fire, heat, or water.
- DO NOT turn on the ceiling light fixtures or fans if the ceiling is wet. Turning them on could be dangerous, as the wiring may have been damaged during the fire or while it was being put out.
- DO NOT send special garments, such as a wedding dress or treasured baptismal gown, to any ordinary cleaner. Improper cleaning may further set stains. Ask the professionals at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons for assistance.
- DO NOT attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery. To prevent further damage, these jobs are best left to the highly trained technicians at ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons.
- DO NOT clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to the fire, heat, or water. Instead, consult with ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons to see if they can be cleaned and restored or require replacement.
For fast and efficient fire damage restoration that’s managed correctly each step of the way, contact ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons at 773-376-1110 immediately. Our company has the experience, tools, and expertise to get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.